Thursday, January 20, 2011

for the love of quiche

I love food more than I love most things. I love fresh, vibrant flavors and crisp vegetables and whole grains. And, I LOVE quiche. It's really the perfect food. Grain (crust...MMmmm...), protein (eggs!), cheese & milk (dairy!) and all the veggies you can pack into that pie plate. It's just SO GOOD.
(get used to capitalization for emphasis, and lots and lots of parentheses. It's just my personality. SUPER IMPORTANT things look like that, and side conversations or comments happen right here) ---> ( in here! in here!)

Back to quiche --
The perfect food.
I know, I know. There are much healthier things, but - you really are getting quite a bang for your buck with a quiche. One could argue that the crust (boo hoo! it's sooooooo yummy) and all of that cheese aren't so good for you, but I say you could do a hell of a lot worse. So, embrace the quiche. Love the quiche. TELL ME you don't want to put this in your oven RIGHT NOW and eat the whole thing:


Regrettably, I didn't get a picture of this beauty after it came out of the oven. It immediately had to make it's way into my stomach, so - my apologies.

But, for those who are interested - you can make it yourself:
crust - I make crust out of a basic 1 c flour, 1/3 crisco (all natural shortening is available at the health food store and works great) and a couple Ts of ice cold water. blend flour & shortening with a pastry blender, add enough water to bind it all together. roll it out (put plenty of flour down on your surface!) and stick it in your pie plate.
the innards -  4 or 5 eggs (farm fresh MAKES a difference! yummmmmy), a cup (or so) of milk, some (less than a cup?) grated cheese, (swiss works well, but any cheese will do), and then -- a leek, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, a spoonful of pesto, red onion, broccoli, and whatever else you'd like!
It takes about 40 min. at a 350F oven to cook through. remove from the oven when the center isn't jiggly, and ENJOY!
MMMMMmmmmmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment